Interested in getting involved at Lockwood? We would love to have your help in serving our students and staff for the 2020-2021 school year! Below are some opportunities currently available.
For additional questions or to volunteer, please contact Christie Lounsberry at: email@example.com
Please note that we realize it is not yet known how school will look this fall and that in all likelihood we will not be returning in a "normal" fashion this September. We are however moving forward with filling our positions with the hope that many of our beloved Lockwood programs and events can be adapted to fit within whatever requirements or restrictions we face next school year. Traditions and consistency are important for kids, especially in times of stress and uncertainty, and Lockwood PTA is committed to finding ways to keep our Lockwood students connected and engaged no matter what the school landscape looks like next fall. Please join us in helping to keep our Leopard Pride strong during the 2020-2021 school year!
Current Open Board Positions:
- Co-Vice President (to serve along with Greg Loomis)
- Enrichment Chair
- Legislative Advocate
The Lockwood PTA Board meets 8 times a year (approximately 1.5-2 hours per meeting) to plan and carry out the business and initiatives of the PTA. Below is a description of each open position:
Co -Vice President: attend board meetings; assist the President with their duties; prepare agendas for board meetings; special projects or initiatives as needed
Enrichment Chair: attend board meetings; organize after school enrichment programs for Lockwood students by coordinating with outside vendors, facilitating student registration and recruiting parent volunteers for each session to comply with Lockwood PTA's insurance requirements. (This could be a co-chair position)
Legislative Advocate: attend board meetings; provide updates to Lockwood PTA Board and General Membership about Washington State PTA legislative goals and initiatives; represent Lockwood PTA at the WSPTA Legislative Assembly (one day event each fall) and report back to General Membership
In addition to the board positions above, we also have the following committee and lead positions open for next year:
Leopard Laps Fundraiser
- Event Lead - coordinate our primary annual fundraiser, with the assistance of a committee of 3-4 people
- Communications & Marketing - Create and distribute communications for the Leopard Laps fundraiser, including information and donation packets and signage for the event (we have existing templates!)
- Sponsorships & Prize Procurement - solicit prizes and sponsorships from local businesses or others within our community, as appropriate. Assist the event lead in creating an overall prize strategy for the event
- Family Dance - Organize the family dance including: theme selection, marketing the event (flyers, submission to Weekly newsletter, etc), arrange food to be sold at the event and coordinating volunteers to sell tickets and other day of event tasks. (Family Dance occurs in January)
- Movie Night - Organize the family movie night including: selecting an appropriate movie, marketing the event (flyers, submission to Weekly newsletter, etc), arrange food to be sold at the event and coordinating volunteers to sell food or other day of tasks. (Movie night usually occurs in April)
- Science Fair - Organize the science fair, including: communicating and working with teachers and Lockwood staff regarding science fair timeline and plans; marketing the event and participation instructions to Lockwood families through flyers and online promotion (Weekly, Facebook, etc); collecting registrations and coordinating the distribution of display boards to student participants; planning hands on activites for the evening event using either parent or community volunteers; organizing set up of student projects on the day of event. (Science Fair usually occurs in March or April)
- Kindergarten & New Family - Help welcome families new to Lockwood including: Making any needed updates to our new family packets and distribute with the assistance of the front office; coordinating the Kindergarten Welcome Tea; working with the Membership Chair and Executive committee on ways to welcome and engage new Lockwood families
- Hospitality - Coordinate snacks for PTA General Meetings and other small events throughout the year.
- Parent Enrichment - Coordinate speakers or educational programs for Lockwood PTA members. This can be done in collaboration with other local PTAs or as an event just for Lockwood members. Ideally we would be able to offer 2-3 events per year.
- Book Fair - Organize the Scholastic Book Fair in coordination with the Lockwood Librarian, including: coordinating volunteers and assisting in marketing the event to Lockwood families through flyers and online promotion (Weekly, Facebook, etc)
- Spirit Wear - Organize our Lockwood PTA spirit wear sales, including: coordinating with the spirit wear vendor: communicating information about the sale to Lockwood families through flyers and online promotion (Weekly, Facebook, etc) and distributing purchases to students. Generally there are two rounds of spirit wear sales a year.
- Financial Review Committee - meets 2x year to review the Lockwood PTA financial documents for compliance
- Golden Acorn Committee - solicits nominations from our community for our annual recognition awards in the spring, selects the winners, purchases prizes or certificates and presents these awards at our May General Membership Meeting
- Nomination Committee - recruit candidates for the next year's executive committee, including President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer (committee is active in the winter)
- Grant Committee Member at Large - review grant submissions from Lockwood staff and, as a committee, approve or deny those grant applications. The Grant Committee consists of 5 people, including: Lockwood PTA Treasurer, 2 Lockwood Teachers, Lockwood Principal and the Lockwood PTA Grant Committee Member at Large. Most work of the committee is done via email.
Other Ways to Get Involved
Do none of these seem right for you but you would still like to be involved? Or maybe you prefer to just help out the day of the event? Please email Christie at: firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to our volunteer email list.
We will contact you as events or programs come up that need volunteers to see if you have an hour or two to help out. Many of our events and programs take 15-20 (or more!) volunteers to run... we can't do it without you! Examples of events and programs that we would solicit volunteers for include: Picture Day, Health Screening, Science Fair, Family Dance, Bingo, Leopard Laps, Book Fair and more!